Craft Conspiring

Friday, November 21, 2014

Givings of Gratitude.

Harmony.  It isn't illusive, or intangible, or unpractical, or a deserved myth granted to all the other people in the world.  Today, in this moment, I am living proof that the head, the heart, and the hands can work together to uncover the stuff planted in the dirt, that's cultivated through a little hard work and a lot of faith.  The substance that gives us light.

That was not always my belief.  In hindsight and through reflection, I might still awaken in a self-entitled haze, unhappy with the life I was carving out for myself, feeling out of control, and generally disheartened.  I might still think, day in and day out, that what I really want to do with my life hovers in the dark, dream phase of existence.

"Leap, and the net will appear.” 
 Julia Cameron, The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity

At the beginning of the week I wrote a 15 page lit review on the hazards of Zero Tolerance policies and the School to Prison Pipeline.  If you're interested try here, and here.  Despite the brain drain that followed, I was genuinely thrilled to research a topic for which I feel passionate, then word vomit onto paper.  After, I created a pillow, designed some things for the husband's birthday party, spent hours observing teachers in an elementary school, and tutored my little buddy in reading.

“Pray to catch the bus, then run as fast as you can.” 
 Julia Cameron, The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity

My sincere purpose for this post: I want to acknowledge how very grateful I am, and particularly, that I would not be in this mindset without some serious love, guidance, "You did what's?" and, "Good for you's!" from this wonder-filled support system comprised of relatives and people I get to call friends, but feel as though are family.  They push me, laugh at me, and try with me.  Without people from which I can learn, fail around, and crawl to for help, that much darker version of myself may still exist.

We walk together and through, and I Thank You.

And now!  A couple dear friends' pillows in their homes!  Giddiness.



Things to think on:
“No matter what your age or your life path, whether making art is your career or your hobby or your dream, it is not too late or too egotistical or too selfish or too silly to work on your creativity.” 
 Julia Cameron, The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity
“Serious art is born from serious play.”  Julia Cameron, The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity

Happy Frizzle, 
Jo